Divorce & Family Law Lawyers – Lake County Indiana

Northwest Indiana Divorce and Family Law Attorneys

Divorce and family law is never simple. One side always wants more. Usually, there is at least one issue that ends up being a sticking point during negotiations. An amicable situation can quickly change into an all-out battle. It pays to have an experienced lawyer who is focused on the solution.

We help people and families with these family law and divorce issues:

  • Child Custody
  • Child Support, Child Support & College Education, Child Support & Day Care
  • Child Support Modifications
  • Child Visitation/Parenting Time
  • Contested Divorce
  • Contesting Prenuptial Agreements
  • Custody Issues for Non-Married Parents
  • Divorce
  • Divorce and Business Valuations
  • Enforcement of Orders – Support, Maintenance, and Visitation Orders
  • Estate Planning
  • Family Law
  • Fathers’ Rights
  • Grandparents’ Rights
  • Legal Separation
  • Maintenance Modifications / Termination
  • Mothers’ Rights
  • Name Change(s)
  • Orders of Protection
  • Parental Relocation or Removal
  • Paternity / Parentage
  • Pre and Post Nuptial Agreements
  • Pre-divorce Planning
  • Property Division
  • Relocation with a Child / Children
  • Same-Sex Divorce
  • Separation
  • Uncontested Divorce
  • Visitation/Parenting Time

Some Common Divorce & Family Law Questions:

How does a divorce case commence in court?  A proceeding for dissolution of marriage is commenced by the filing of a verified petition for dissolution that sets forth the residence of each party, the length of residence in the state and county, the date of the marriage, the date on which the parties separated; the name, age, address of any living child less than twenty-one (21) years of age; and any incapacitated child of the marriage and whether the wife is pregnant; the grounds for dissolution of the marriage, and the relief sought.

How long do I have to live in Indiana in order to file for dissolution? At the time of filing of a petition for dissolution, at least one of the parties must have been a resident of the Indiana (or stationed at a United States military installation within Indiana) for six (6) months immediately preceding the filing of the petition. In addition, at least one of the parties must have been a resident of the county (or stationed at a United States military installation within the county) where the petition is filed for three (3) months immediately preceding the filing of the petition. 

What is marital property? (Click Here)

How does the court divide marital property? (Click Here)

What factors will the court look at in deciding child custody? (Click Here)

How long is a party obligated to pay child support? (Click Here)

How soon can a divorce become finalized? At least sixty (60) days after a petition is filed in an action for dissolution of marriage, the court may enter a summary dissolution decree without holding a final hearing (trial) if the parties file verified pleadings, signed by both parties, containing a written waiver of final hearing and either a statement that there are no contested issues; or a written agreement made in accordance with Indiana law that settles any contested issues between the parties.

Can the parties enter into a written settlement agreement?  Yes. To promote the amicable settlements of disputes that have arisen or may arise between the parties to a marriage attendant upon the dissolution of marriage, the parties may agree in writing to provisions for (1) the maintenance of either of the parties, (2) the disposition of any property owned by either or both of the parties; and (3) the custody and support of the children of the parties. In an action for dissolution of marriage, the terms of the agreement, if approved by the court, are incorporated and merged into the decree and the parties are ordered to perform the terms; or the court may make provisions for the disposition of property, child support, maintenance, and custody.

Will I have to pay attorney fees for my spouse’s attorney? The court may order a party to pay a reasonable amount for the cost to the other party of maintaining or defending any proceeding in a dissolution case.

At the Hand Law Group, P.C. we resolve divorce disputes through professional negotiation and aggressive litigation. Please contact us today to schedule an appointment to discuss your case in a confidential initial no charge consultation.

Personal Attention Cost-Effective Resolutions

The personal attention of a highly experienced and accomplished lawyer is vital in helping your divorce stay on course and avoiding unnecessary delays and expenses due to these common disputes:

We know that hiring an attorney means money out of your pocket. Our firm is dedicated to finding solutions to your divorce disputes outside of court when possible. Law Office of Karl E. Hand, P.C., has the skill and experience to litigate aggressively on your behalf when the other side refuses to come to a fair agreement or settlement.

Contact Us Today

We represent clients throughout Northwest Indiana, including Lake County, Porter County and the surrounding towns, areas and counties.

Small Firm Service, Big Results: Call or contact us by e-mail to schedule a no-charge consultation with a divorce and family attorney at our Schererville law office. We are always available via e-mail and cell phone.